Here’s a green fact. In less than a year, we’ve recycled almost 15,000 pounds of plastic (more specifically – polystyrene, for all you resin ID code geeks out there!). That averages to about 1,200 pounds per month. The best part? Any material that’s recovered properly can help make other products!
Another fact. There are 15 billion music CDs out there collecting dust in U.S. homes; that amounts to more than 1 million tons of jewel cases. Here at Murfie we want it all!
Now, perhaps you haven’t heard… Earth Day is just around the corner. To celebrate, we’re making an appearance at Isthmus Green Day on Saturday, April 21st in Madison, WI. We’ll have totes, smiles, and other goodies. If you can’t be there in person, no worries (you’ll be with us in spirit).
To really get our green on, here’s a few easy, painless ways we can all help out:
1) Recycle, including old electronics
2) Buy in bulk to reduce the amount of packaging waste
3) Unplug electronics when you’re not using them to kill standby/phantom power
4) Use reusable drinking containers, instead of disposable coffee cups and plastic water bottles
5) Turn off the lights when you leave a room to reduce energy use
6) Don’t take 10 minute showers – consider cutting your shower short by a few minutes to conserve water
7) Lower your home thermostats, including water heater, to conserve energy
8) Buy energy efficient compact fluorescent light bulbs to save energy
9) Use a reusable rag or towel, instead of napkins and paper towels
10) Use reusable lunch bags and shopping bags to cut down on paper and plastic