Shortly after that, he sent a kit of about 500 discs all the way from Mequon, WI…to Madison, WI! And he’s sold a bunch of them so far. We asked this hardcore Murfie guy a few questions about him and his collection.
Murfie: How did you originally learn about Murfie?
Micah: My first exposure to Murfie was completely random. I was waiting in reception, a bit early for a meeting with a client (I’m in marketing), and was paging through their Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Or perhaps it was their WSJ. Regardless, it was an interview with the founders during the first year of business I believe…pretty early on. It really caught my attention because I am a total tech nerd, always looking for ways to digitize my life. I’ve been into digital (web, mobile, etc.) visual design and interaction design for years, and their concept seemed really intriguing to me. It reminded me of my pre-marketing days when I worked at a music shop in CA, turning people on to rare finds and great deals in the used department. And hey, they were right in my backyard…Madison! I got home, went online, and requested a couple 500 count boxes, filling them up and shipping them out immediately. My shop was up and running in no time.
Murfie: When did you purchase your first CD? What was it?
Micah: My first CD ever, or Murfie? Can’t remember on Murfie, but I actually bought two CD’s as my first purchase. Jellyfish‘s Bellybutton album and Presto by Rush.
Murfie: How many CDs do you own (or did you own at peak)?
Micah: Probably over 1200 for a while.
Murfie: How tall are you?
Micah: 6 feet tall.
Murfie: Tell us about your musical tastes.
Micah: My tastes are pretty varied as I have musical loves from jazz to musicals, from classical to some classic rock gems, but what I mainly listen to falls into indie rock, 80’s wave, smart pop, and intelligent heavy rock.
Murfie: What can folks expect to find in your store (if different than the above)?
- A ton of wave / brit-pop / shoegazer for sure. My favorite band ever is The Cure, with a great love for The Smiths / Morrissey, Siouxsie, Joy Division, Lush, My Bloody Valentine (the new one is excellent), Depeche Mode…and bands that they influenced like The Joy Formidable, Interpol, and Editors.
- Beautiful, emotive, smart pop like Jeff Buckley, Jonah Matranga, Aimee Mann, Duncan Sheik, Rufus Wainwright, Elbow, Doves, The Dears, Remy Zero, R.E.M., Bon Iver.
- Intelligent heavy music that packs a big punch like A Perfect Circle, Deftones, The Big Sleep, and Nine Inch Nails.
- A truckload of beloved “grunge” like Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Jane’s Addiction, etc. Look for the hidden treasure I Mother Earth.
- Highly emotive music with explosive hooks like The Life and Times, Shiner, Death Cab for Cutie, Sunny Day Real Estate, Lift To Experience, Pretty Girls Make Graves, Shudder To Think, and Silversun Pickups, Band of Horses, Far.
- A bunch of my wife’s CD’s…so if it doesn’t fit in and is embarrassing, it’s hers!!!
- And, of course, the best bands ever…The Beatles and Radiohead.
Murfie: If you could meet any musician or band in person, who would it be and why?
Micah: It would have to be Robert Smith of The Cure. He and the band have meant so much to me over the years. I’d love to hear stories from the 34 years of history, find out what he’s listening to nowadays…heck, if I’m dreamin’ here I’d throw in a jam session and see if I can get in the band.
Murfie: What is your favorite album at the moment?
Micah: A few, actually. The Joy Formidable‘s Wolf’s Law, No One Loves You Like I Do by The Life and Times, The Goldberg Sisters (eponymous), and The National‘s Boxer, Alligator, and High Violet.
Murfie: What do you plan to do with the millions of dollars you’re making from your Murfie shop?
Micah: Fill out my music collection, buy music gear, record my next album, sell it on Murfie!
Shopkeep of the Week is a weekly feature that focuses on our most interesting Murfie shopkeepers. These are music lovers like you who have sold hundreds of pre-loved CDs on Murfie and have hundreds more at the ready to please your ears! If you’d like your Murfie Shop to be featured, or if you’d like to nominate a shop to be featured, please e-mail us at email@example.com and let us know.